The Digital Nomad Visa Requirements of Costa Rica and Barbados
Digital nomadism has become increasingly popular in recent years with the rise of technology and remote work. Many countries have recognized the potential of attracting digital nomads to their shores and have implemented specialized visa programs to facilitate this digital nomad lifestyle. Two such countries are Costa Rica and Barbados. In this blog post, we will compare the digital nomad visa requirements of Costa Rica and Barbados to help you determine which one is the best fit for your remote work lifestyle.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country in Central America that has become a hotspot for digital nomads. Its visa program for digital nomads is called Estancia para Trabajador y Prestador Remoto de Servicios.
- Cost: US$100
- Proof of income: US$3,000 per month; If travelling with dependents: US$4,000 per month
- Exemption from income tax
- No obligation to contribute to the Costa Rican Social Security Fund
- Medical services policy that covers the applicant and family for the entire duration of their stay in the country
- Guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of illness in Costa Rica for at least US$50,000.00
- Immigration will check whether the applicant has criminal records through the databases it has access to
- Duration of stay: 1 year + may be renewed for 1 additional year
- May not work for a Costa Rican employer or contractor
- Required documents: Request form, Receipt of payment of fees, Image of the passport page showing the person’s photograph and bio information, as well as the stamp showing entry into Costa Rica (if the person is already in Costa Rica), Depending on the person’s nationality, consular visa or restricted visa, Bank statements and affidavit to prove income
Barbados is a small island country in the Caribbean that has introduced a digital nomad visa program called the Welcome Stamp Visa.
- Cost: For Individual: US$ 1,500; For family: US$ 2,250
- Proof of income: US$50,000 per annum
- No obligation to contribute to social security
- No income tax for non-nationals
- Background checks will be required
- Duration of stay: 1 year
- The visa is for remote work only i.e. for companies and individuals outside of Barbados
- Required documents: Passport sized photograph of the principal applicant and all other dependents over the age of 18, Bio-data page of passport, birth certificate, Proof of relationship of principal applicant to all other members, Must have healthcare insurance coverage for the duration of stay
Both Costa Rica and Barbados offer enticing digital nomad visa programs. While Costa Rica's visa program requires a higher monthly income, it does offer a longer duration of stay and a guarantee of medical coverage. On the other hand, Barbados offers a lower cost for its digital nomad visa program and no obligation to contribute to social security or pay income tax. Ultimately, the choice between the two countries will depend on personal preference, income, and individual circumstances. Regardless of which country you choose, both Costa Rica and Barbados are stunning destinations that offer a unique blend of natural beauty and vibrant culture.