Digital Nomad Visa Requirements of Costa Rica and Croatia
If you're a digital nomad looking to live and work abroad, Costa Rica and Croatia have unique visa programs that cater to remote workers and freelancers. Here's a breakdown of the visa requirements for Costa Rica and Croatia to help you make an informed decision.
Estancia para Trabajador y Prestador Remoto de Servicios
|Cost of Visa||US$100|
|Length of Stay||1 year + May be renewed for 1 additional year|
|Income Requirement||Must have US$3,000 per month; If travelling with dependents: US$4,000 per month|
|Tax Policy||Exemption from income tax|
|Social Security Policy||No duty to contribute to the Costa Rican Social Security Fund|
Other Conditions or Requirements
- A medical services policy that covers the applicant for the entire duration of his/her stay in the country is required. Likewise, all members of the family group must be covered, if the applicant chooses to request their inclusion as beneficiaries. The guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of illness in Costa Rica for at least US $50,000.00 (fifty thousand dollars of the United States of America) whose term of validity covers the period of stay in the country.
- Immigration will check whether this person has criminal records through the databases it has access to
- May not work for a Costa Rican employer or contractor
- Request form, receipt of payment of fees, image of the passport page showing the person’s photograph and bio information, as well as the stamp showing entry into Costa Rica (if the person is already in Costa Rica). Depending on the person’s nationality, consular visa or restricted visa.
- Bank statements and affidavit to prove income.
Digital Nomad Visa
|Cost of Visa||Cost for applying through Embassy/ Consulate: €60
Costs of applying through police station: - Granting temporary stay: €45
Administrative fees: €10
Residence Card: €30
€60 for urgent issues
Costs of applying online: - Administrative fees: €45
Residence Permit: €30
€60 for urgent issues.
|Length of Stay||1 year|
|Income Requirement||For individual: 17,822.50 Kuna per month • For every additional family member: 712.90 Kuna per month|
|Tax Policy||Personal income tax will not be payable on receipts of natural persons earned on the basis of employment or conducting work for a party which is not registered in Croatia, on the basis of the acquired status of the digital nomad.|
|Social Security Policy||Social security will not be payable on receipts of natural persons earned on the basis of employment or conducting work for a party which is not registered in Croatia, on the basis of the acquired status of the digital nomad.|
Other Conditions or Requirements
- Applicants must submit a background check document showing that they have not been convicted of criminal offenses in their home country, or from country where they have stayed for more than a year
- Allows digital nomads, remote workers, and freelancers to stay in Croatia, but The applicant must be a third-country national and working for a company that is registered abroad, not in Croatia
- Application form, proof travel purpose
- Must hold a passport valid for more than 3 months, passports must be notarized and translated to Croatian if the passport is not in English language
- Must hold a health insurance policy which covers the entire duration of intended stay at Croatia
- Marriage certificate (for a family member of a digital nomad), address of stay in Croatia, proof of sufficient funds to support themselves
Both Costa Rica and Croatia offer attractive visa programs for digital nomads. While Croatia's Digital Nomad Visa is more flexible, allowing for online applications and multiple renewals, Costa Rica's Estancia para Trabajador y Prestador Remoto de Servicios has a tax exemption and no social security contribution requirement.
Ultimately, it's important to note that both countries have varying living costs, work environments, and overall experiences. As a digital nomad, it's essential to consider your personal preferences and work requirements when choosing a destination.