Malaysia and Thailand: Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
Are you thinking of becoming a digital nomad in Asia? Malaysia and Thailand are two great options, with attractive visa programs available for remote workers and freelancers. Here's what you need to know.
Malaysia: DE Rantau Nomad Pass under DE Rantau Program
Cost and Validity
|Application Fee||For individual: MYR1,060 (including SST of 6%)|
|Immigration Pass Fee||For 3 months: RM90
For 1 year: RM360
Multiple entry Visa Fee: Varies country by country
- For foreign Digital Nomads: above US$24,000 annually
- For Local Digital Nomads: above RM36,000 annually
- Can be exempted under the Double Taxation Agreement subject to meeting the required conditions
- A copy of Certificate of Good Conduct (COGC) is required for submission of foreign digital nomad application
Length of stay:
- 3 to 12 months; with an option to extend to additional 12 months i.e. total of 24 months of stay
- The applicant is required to have a career in domain related to Information Technology, Digital Content Creation and Development, or Digital Marketing.
- If a foreign digital nomad is applying for the DE Rantau Nomad Pass as a remote worker, then his employment should be with a Foreign/Non-Malaysian Company.
- Digital Freelancer and Independent Contractor can work either with foreign or local company
- A passport valid for more than 14 months is required
- For Digital Freelancer, contracts or invoices and orders and clients mentioning the duration and value of the contract will be required
- For remote worker, proof of an active employment with a company outside Malaysia is required stating the monthly or annual salary
- The age of the main applicant is required to be above 18 years
- Immediate family members of the applicant are also eligible to apply
Thailand: Long Term Resident Visa Program
Cost and Validity
|Government Fee||THB 50,000 per person for 10-year visa with Multiple entry|
|Government Fee for Digital Work Permit||THB 3,000 per year|
- US$80,000 Annually
- If the income is between US$40,000 to US$80,000, Applicant is required to at least have a Master's degree, own intellectual property, or receive Series A funding
- Under this Visa, tax on Overseas Income is Exempted
- A letter of verification issued within the last 10 years by the country of Residence/ Nationality indicating clear criminal record might be required
Length of stay:
- Visa will be granted to stay in Thailand for the first time for five (5) years which can be extended for five (5) more years if qualifications are met
- No work limitations, however, the individual needs to be aware of the PE issue for the activity carried on in Thailand for the benefit of a foreign entity.
- The applicant is required to have at least relevant working experience of five years over the past 10 years.
- His current employer should either be a public company (listed on a stock exchange anywhere), or a private company with at least three years of operations with revenue for the last 3 years should be at least US$150 Million.
- The applicant should have health insurance with coverage of at least US$50,000 or Social Security Benefits supporting treatment in Thailand or a bank deposit of no less than US$ 100,000
Whether you choose Malaysia or Thailand, both countries offer a great quality of life, affordable living costs, and exciting cultural experiences. Their digital nomad visa programs provide eligible applicants with the opportunity to work and live in these countries for extended periods with relatively straightforward application processes. So, choose your destination and start exploring!