Spain and Belize: Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
If you're looking to become a digital nomad in Spain, the country has recently introduced the Special Visa for International Teleworkers under Startup Act 28/2022. Before applying for this visa, it's important to note that the requirements are subject to change, so it's recommended to check with the consulate for the latest information.
- Certificate of Social Security coverage (If there is an agreement with the country of origin) or registration in the Spanish social security accrediting at least the application for registration of the foreign company before the Spanish Social Security and the commitment to register once the authorization before the start of work
- Public or private health insurance. Travel insurance is not accepted (Not necessary in the case of registration with Spanish Social Security).
- Police background check of the country/countries they resided in the past 2 years, along with the affidavit of clean criminal record.
- Proof of being employed with the employer (outside of Spain) for at least one year continuously and permit to work remotely
- In case of contractual employment, proof of professional relationship with an entity (outside of Spain) for no less than three months and permit to work remotely
- In case of freelancing, proof of working with at least one non-Spanish company from at least the past three months and providing terms and conditions allowing to work remotely
- Freelance applicants are required to earn at least 80 percent of income from outside of Spain
- Being a qualified professional: (i) graduates or postgraduates from universities of recognized prestige, (ii) professional training and business schools of recognized prestige, or (iii) with a minimum of three years' professional experience
Tax and Income Requirements
While tax residence criteria is the same as for other visa holders, digital nomads in Spain may be eligible for the Special Tax Regime, allowing them to be taxed on their salary income at a 24% flat rate (up to 600k, 47% onwards) and their foreign source private income (such as capital gains, dividends, interests or income from real estate) would not be subject to taxation in Spain.
Belize, a small country in Central America, offers the Work Where You Vacation program for digital nomads. Here are the visa requirements:
- Valid police record (with a validity of not more than six (6) months) for all applicants 18 years and older
- For individuals: US$75,000 annually; For Couples/families: UD$100,000 annually
Tax and Income Requirements
Belize's maximum stay is 180 days, and it is likely that there is no income tax since 183 days are required to establish tax residency.
Both Spain and Belize offer enticing visa programs for digital nomads, but they have different requirements and benefits. Spain's Special Visa for International Teleworkers under Startup Act 28/2022 requires proof of remote work and permits, while Belize's Work Where You Vacation program has minimum income requirements. It's recommended to research and review each country's requirements before deciding which one to apply for.